The Buochs Airport (ICAO code LSZC Mil: LSMU) is a regional airport in the town of Buochs in the Canton of Nidwalden in Switzerland; home of the famous Pilatus Aircraft factory. It has a concrete runway with a length of 2000m (6561ft) and a width of 40m (131ft). The airport is situated in a beautiful location, flanked by five large mountains and nestled right up to the large idyllic Lake Lucerne. Pilatus has been producing their iconic aircraft at Buochs since 1939. The airfield was also chosen to house Swiss Air Force planes beginning during WWII. The location was chosen for its strategic placement and took advantage of the mountains by building secret embedded hangars into the mountainside. Up until 2003 the airport remained an active Swiss Air Force base, housing Mirage III, occasionally F-5 and F-18 aircraft. Many of the grass covered aircraft shelters can still be seen around the airfield and the site remains in a “reserve” status that could readily be reactivated. The airport is perfectly situated for many types of flying in the simulator. It has a wonderful glider facility with excellent soaring opportunities and many other scenic airports and sites nearby. Several notable places to fly to or from Buochs are: LSZS, Samaden, 65 nm SE; LSZH, Zurich, 30 nm N; the Matterhorn Mountain peak 65 nm SW; and for a difficult steeped sloped landing experience, LFHM, Megeve, 100 nm SW. This scenery will be a perfect addition to come and pick up your new PC-12 or PC-24 from the factory once released for the Sim!
Why give it a shot?
- Corrected terrain mesh data for surrounding mountains
- Custom PC-12, PC-24, Gliders, Mirage III and numerous ground vehicle static models
- Hand built Buochs custom hybrid approach lighting and fighter plane PAPI’s
- Full PBR textures up to 8k thought the entire area
- Runway and taxiway traffic lights and barriers matching published airport data
- Custom crop fields and various stages of crop rotation textures added to match the real airport
- Handcrafted buildings: Pilatus factory, GA ramp, Airforce buildings, both ATC towers and many more
- Surrounding areas improved, example, gravel pits, recycling center, Lake Lucerne marina
- Hundreds of hand placed vegetation, airport clutter and grungy spots along aprons and runway.